Sunday, Aug. 9, 2020
Influencers 5 – Confronting the Parts of You that are Fearful and Terribly Disappointed
Pastor Troy Brewer, OpenDoor Church, Burleson, TX
DEEP CALLS UNTO DEEP
There’s a term today that I really love that challenged me and helped me immensely. It’s a term called emotional intelligence.
The capacity to be aware of, control, and express one’s emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
Besides increased personal well-being
Improved team performance
Improved ability to make decisions
Increased leadership and influence
You have incredible influence.
All of this emotional intelligence falls under the umbrella of a fruit of the Holy Spirit called self-control.
Self-control can be applied to all of the fruits of the Spirit in the same way it is applied to forbearance.
Displaying self-control is often a matter of responding rather than reacting – engaging in the right things and pulling away from the wrong things.
The Power of Predetermined Responses
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”
THE FRUIT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
How we know we are the disciples of Jesus and how we know that our lives are glorifying the Father is we produce the fruit of the Holy Spirit .
* John 15:8 –This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
“What ever the problem, its not gonna be me.”
When you are aware of emotional intelligence and the effort to keep the unity of the spirit you become aware of your own lack of self control the way you become aware of biting animals in a kids petting zoo.
When we react to a situation, we let our emotions take control.
BEING ABLE TO CONFRONT YOUR SOUL AND TEND IT LIKE A GARDEN OR MAKE IT RIGHT – LIKE TRAINING A HORSE – IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
Powerful or victimized
Blessing or curse
Enslaved or having mastery
Soul and Spirit
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart
The brilliance and the craziness of King David
the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.
* Being intentionally desperate for God
* Self control of consistently motivated for relation and encounter with Jesus
(ABOUT GOD TO HIMSELF)
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?
* Never having enough of God
* Plotting and skillfully planning to meet with God in big way
YOU GET AS MUCH JESUS AS YOU WANT
(ABOUT HIMSELF & OTHERS TO HIMSELF)
My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
* Dealing with the reality of what others think (strife)
* Dealing with the reality of how you entertain the ideas of others that are contrary to what you believe about God and what God told you to believe about your self
(A DECLARATION OF MAKING HIMSELF REMEMBER THE RIGHT THINGS)
These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.
* The internal struggle of making himself remember and get grounded into encounters and moments of god’s presence
Owning the responsibility of remembering His service to and His encounters with God
BY NOT CELEBRATING WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU, YOU MAKE YOURSELF UNWORTHY OF INCREASE.
Engaging His soul with His spirit
(TO HIS SOUL FROM HIS SPIRIT)
Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and
(The internal confrontation from his spirit to his own soul)
* He is actually bishoping his own soul (1 Peter 2:25)
* telling himself how things are going to go (Prophesying)
* Emotional intelligence and the power of self-control
(TO GOD FROM HIS SPIRIT )
my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon–from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
* Finding one place in God qualifies you for finding another place in God.
* The hope of heavenly progression
* Being intentionally overwhelmed by His presence
* The back and forth of internal communion with God and confrontation from His spirit to soul
(FROM GOD TO HIM FROM HIMSELF TO HIS SOUL)
By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me– a prayer to the God of my life.
* A proclamation about How God is leading him and loving him and helping him connect and pray.
The words of his mouth and the meditation of his heart (Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer)
(FROM HIS SOUL TO GOD)
I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”
My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
* The reactionary, knee-jerk reaction of the soul. Reactions are soulish and responses are spirit.
The argument of his soul against his spirit
The argument of his soul of a different reality
* the argument of his internal hurts and his external enemies
(FROM HIS SPIRIT TO HIS SOUL)
Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God
His triumphant confrontation of his Spirit over his soul
He’s crazy but he has a right mind!
GOD DOESN’T DEMANDS EVERYTHING TO BE SUCCESSFUL BUT HE FINDS GREAT JOY IN ANYTHING WHEN IT IS PRODUCTIVE AND FRUITFUL
* Acts 8: the Ethiopian Eunuch
* He is reading Isiah 53:7-8 In it we have a description of the innocent, righteous sufferer, the objective basis for vicarious atonement. Luke has already portrayed Jesus in his passion in these terms: silent before authorities (Lk 23:9), deprived of justice, an innocent man condemned (Lk 23:4, 15, 22; 23:47; compare Acts 2:22-23; 3:14), his life taken (Lk 23:18; 22:2; 23:32; compare Acts 2:23; 10:39; 13:28).
* God is always in celebration of progression no matter how small of a stage.
God celebrates every progression in Genesis
He even celebrates a progression He finds in the scribes of His day.
Now when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.”
Facebook, twitter & Instagram @ pstroybrewer
YouTube Troy Brewer