TODAY’S PROPHETIC THOUGHT
Before beginning a trip, be sure to take along everything you need, starting with the God of everything.
“Hello, I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.” – Exodus 20:2 Pastor Troy Version
That’s a great way to introduce yourself to somebody. Saying, “I’ve gotten you out of a mess and I’m not going to let you get back into it.”
Then God says, “This is how you’re not going to get back into the house of bondage”:
1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image…
3. You shall not bow down to idols nor serve them…
4. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain…
5. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it, you shall do no work…
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.
Seems simple, right? But God knew we couldn’t keep them. We would bend and break them. So why did He give us the 10 Commandments? Was it so He could condemn us? No way!
See, people are whack. Although we say we hate rules and find new and more creative ways to break them, we secretly desire structure. Why do you think the children of Israel asked God for judges and Kings? Because they craved rules!
Although we need boundaries, they cannot become the thing we worship – doggedly keeping the rules but forgetting the heart of the one who gave them to us for our protection – yes, protection! Boundaries are how good parents show their love. It’s how we, like Father God, protect our children from harm and heartache.
Want to stay out of bondage? Learn to live within the boundaries God has set for your life. Break a rule or go off the reservation? Repent and run to Abba. It’s that simple. Remember, Jesus simplified this list of 10 down to two “Great Commands”:
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” – Matthew 22:37-40
When all else fails – LOVE! Remember 1 Corinthians chapter 13 says “love hopes all things, endures all things, believes all things. Love never fails.”
TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO RUN TO DADDY WHEN YOU MESS UP. DON’T HIDE OR WAIT. HE’S READY TO RESTORE YOU BECAUSE HE IS LOVE AND LOVE NEVER FAILS!
From my sermon series JESUS UNVEILED