June 2, 2019
This or That 3: Faith that Works
Pastor Troy Brewer, OpenDoor Church, Burleson, Texas
This is a series on dealing with the contradictions of life and the paradox of living a victorious Kingdom life.
The Bible says in one place “this” and in another, it’s “that.” Some say, “It’s this” and some say, “It’s that.” “This or that?”
This or that 1: Stable is as Stable Does – getting fixed in your faith
- TESTING 101: God will test you but He will not tempt you.
- A testing from the devil always comes in the form of accusation and tempting.
- Testing from the Father comes in the form of proving and qualifying for reward.
- “And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.”
- LUKE 11:4 (PTV) …LEAD US AWAY FROM THE PLACES WHERE WE WILL FAIL …
- So, we’ve got to be fixed in our faith toward the Father.
This or that part 2: The Point of the Blade of Offense
OFF-ENDED: NO LONGER IN A FIXED POSITION
- THIS OR THAT?
- Great judgment comes from the person who offends everybody because offense is bad (Luke 17)
- King Jesus offends everybody because it is good (Isaiah 8 & 1 Peter 2 )
- IF YOU OFF-END SOMEBODY WHO IS FIXED ON JESUS AND YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR IMMATURITY, GOD WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE.
- IF GOD OFF-ENDS YOU, IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE FIXED IN A POSITION THAT ISN’T HIM. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE MATURE AND REFIX ON HIM.
THIS OR THAT 3: FAITH THAT WORKS
- Ephesians 2:1-3 – And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
- This is the environments in which we see, hear, live and work and the atmospheres and spiritual conditions of our homes, hearts and minds.
- It’s also about the culture of how we live together at work, in the family, church and in government.
Control the narrative and force the values.
- Ephesians 2:4-9 – But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD
- James 2:14-26 – What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also
ONE KIND OF FAITH
- Ephesians 2:8-9 – For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
ANOTHER KIND OF FAITH
- Faith without works is dead.
- James 2:17, 26 – Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead…26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
WHY THE CONTRADICTION? IT’S NOT A CONTRADICTION.
- THERE IS THE KIND OF FAITH THAT IS FAITH UNTO SALVATION WHICH IS GOD GETTING YOU INTO HEAVEN
- THEN THERE IS THE KIND OF FAITH THAT IS A GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT – WHICH IS YOU GETTING HEAVEN INTO THIS EARTH
- That’s a when you become victorious. That’s when you see tremendous change and transformation.
- One kind of faith is the gift of God toward salvation. That requires the work of Jesus. But the other kind of faith is the gift of God unto the Holy Ghost.
- In other words, one gift of faith is to get you from this earth into heaven.
- The other gift of faith is to get heaven into this earth through you.