MAY 19, 2019 – THIS OR THAT 1: STABLE IS AS STABLE DOES
PASTOR TROY BREWER, OPENDOOR CHURCH, BURLESON, TX
A series on dealing with the contradictions of life and the paradox of living a victorious Kingdom life.
The Bible says in one place this and in another it’s that.
THE IMPORTANCE OF STABILITY
- Thoughts on stability in your identity, faith, marriage, finances, health, relationships, hope, goals and dreams
- We should be determined to be stable in everything.
- stable: not likely to give way or overturn; firmly fixed
FIXING OUR MINDS & OUR EYES
- Philippians 4:8 AMP – For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
- The key to stability in our identity, faith, marriage, finances, health, relationships, hope, goals and dreams is where we fix our minds and our eyes – where we are determined to consistently look at the things of Jesus and the things of the Kingdom.
- Hebrews 12:2 says we are supposed to be people who are fixing our eyes on Jesus!
- King David says in Psalm 16:8 – I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
STABILITY IN EVERYDAY LIFE
- We are called to be stable in a world that declares it impossible for us to have stability in our faith.
- In life, we are going to come across things that obviously go against our understanding of the Bible and our understanding of the nature of God’s amazing heart.
- This is a part of the human experience and you have got to develop skill sets to pass the things that test you.
- God will test you. He will not tempt you.
- A testing from the devil always comes in the form of accusation and tempting.
- Testing from the Father comes in the form of proving and qualifying for reward. Reward is attached.
THIS OR THAT: DOES GOD LEAD US INTO TEMPTATION?
- Never. In fact, when He leads us, He delivers us from the self destructing evil that comes from our own enticements.
- James 1:13 – Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Luke 11:1-4 – 1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. 2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
- LUKE 11:4 Pastor Troy Version – …LEAD US AWAY FROM THE PLACES WHERE WE WILL FAIL…
- Romans 8:14 – For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.